30 Day Pushup Challenge - Benefits and Form
Benefits of the Pushup
The pushup pattern has many benefits, including:
1. Develops upper body strength and muscle.
2. Strengthens the muscles that improve posture and helps maintain proper thoracic tilt.
3. Strengthens the core and engages the whole body when performed properly.
4. Improves our ability to perform daily tasks and many sports activities.
5. Improves upper body strength and contributes to bone density.
6. Improves our ability to retract the scapula or shoulder blades.
Skills Needed for a Perfect Pushup
1. Able to do a proper plank with arms extended.
2. Enough strength to press about 75% of your bodyweight.
3. Able to focus and maintain technique
4. Adequate shoulder and wrist flexibility
1. Visualize your technique.
2. Start face-down on the floor in a good upright plank position.
3. Keep the neck in a neutral position.
4. Keep your hands in line with the midpoint of your chest. Point your thumbs toward the chest.
5. Place your feet at about shoulder width.
6. Squeeze your abs and glutes. Retract your shoulder blades.
7. Place your hands on the floor with your elbows pointing at about 45 degrees away from the body. Do not place the elbows next to the body or in line with the shoulders.
Placing the elbows in line with the shoulder places the shoulder in a vulnerable position. Placing the elbows next to the body emphasizes the triceps. Both positions use smaller muscle groups than placing the elbows at a 45-degree angle.
1. Lower your body to the ground in a controlled movement.
2. Maintain a good plank position throughout the entire movement.
3. A tight back and tight shoulders create stability, which will increase strength and power while reducing the chance of injury significantly.
4. Push your hands into the ground to raise your body back to the starting position.
5. Think Muscle before Movement. Contract the muscles of the chest and shoulders to start the upward movement of the pushup. Do not bounce out of the bottom position.