The Power of Persistence
The creators of Mickey Mouse, Harry Potter and the Lorax had something that any of us can use to achieve our wildest dreams.
Walt Disney had it. J.K. Rowling had it. Dr. Seuss had it. And you can have it too. Dr. Seuss’s first book, “ And to Think I saw it in Mulberry Street,” was rejected by 27 publishers. J.K. Rowling couldn’t find a publisher for her book “Harry Potter” experiencing rejection over and over again. Walt Disney failed many times, including losing his job as a cartoonist at a newspaper because he lacked imagination!
What did Walt Disney, J.K Rowling and Dr. Seus have? Persistence! Grit! Determination! All three pushed through obstacle after obstacle and never gave up until they reached their goals.
In “Succeed,” Heidi Grant-Halvorsen tells us, “One of the most common reasons we fail to reach our goals is that we give up on them way too soon and for all the wrong reasons.”
So, how can you get more grit and improve your persistence in the face of rejection?
1. Choose goals that are important to you. We are more likely to keep working on goals that we choose for ourselves even when obstacles get in the way.
2. When you choose a goal to pursue, think in terms of get-better rather than be-good. When you focus on the process of getting better, you create a mindset that helps you push on when thing get tough.
3. When you get stuck, remember your “Why,” the reason the goal menas so much to you.
4. When you can’t seem to get started, focus on “what” you can do. Take some action to get started.
5. Know that any goal worth achieving will take effort and make plans for any challenges that may get in the way of achieving your goal.
You may not achieve the fame and fortune of a Walt Disney, J.K. Rowling, or Dr. Seuss, but by improving your persistence, grit and determination, you will achieve more of your personal goals than you ever dreamed possible.
For more information on how to achieve your goals in fitness and life, contact Jim@strengthforlife.us.
If you found this article helpful, please share and help us reach our goal of helping as many people as possible reach their goals.