Butternut Squash Lasagna
Updated: Aug 15, 2019
If you love lasagna, but want a healthier version, try this butternut squash lasagna recipe by Marianne Dietrick-Gallagher
4 tbsp olive oil
1 pound ground chicken or turkey
¾ medium sized onion
1 ½ tsp minced garlic
1 (21 oz) pkg pre-cut Butternut Squash Planks
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
3 cups tomato/spaghetti sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 cup Parmesan
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400⁰F.
2. Heat olive oil in skillet
3. Add garlic and onion. Cook until garlic becomes fragrant.
4. Add ground turkey to the pan and saute until turkey is no longer red in color.
5. Add tomato/spaghetti sauce to turkey mixture. Add oregano and ¼ tsp of basil. Season with salt and pepper; heat to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. Toss squash with 1 tsp of salt. Let drain in colander for 10–15 minutes. Dry planks with paper towels.
7. Stir together ricotta, 2 tablespoons of basil, and ¼ cup of Parmesan in a separate bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
8. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil in an 8x8 baking pan (or use Pam). Spoon about ¼ cup sauce evenly over bottom of dish. Arrange 3 squash planks to cover bottom of dish. Spoon half of the ricotta mixture over the squash; spread evenly. Top ricotta with 1/3 of mozzarella; spread 1 cup of sauce over top. Repeat for 2 more layers, ending with sauce and a final sprinkling of cheese.
9. Set the dish on a rimmed baking sheet to prevent bubbling onto the bottom of the oven; bake 45–50 minutes or until squash is fork-tender.
10. Remove from the oven; let sit for 5–10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.